The actress' West Hollywood home went up in flames yesterday because of a lit candle, according to US website TMZ.
The actress, her brother and boyfriend (it is thought it wasn't rumoured new beau Ryan Phillipe) were reportedly sleeping when the fire broke out on the living room sofa.
Although the three, who had been out late the night before, all managed to escape the blaze, firefighters were unable to rescue one of her two fox terriers.
It is unconfirmed whether it was Ashley's dog Marlo or Theo who didn't survive the fire.
Los Angeles Fire Department Inspector Johnson told RadarOnline: “We made an aggressive fire attack. Our team saw smoke and fire coming from the third floor.
“We have reports of two patrons that were burned, so they were treated by the paramedics and sent to Read More »from Twilight star Ashley Greene escapes dramatic fire at her apartment - but it kills her pet dog